Time to give Gundam a chance?

If you didn't notice, I run an anime blog!  That has something to do with me loving anime.  There's pretty much no aspect to anime that I don't love or appreciate.  That goes for mech anime.  While I do respect and appreciate the genre, I personally don't like watching it.  There's just something about giant robotic warriors that doesn't tickle my fancy, but I'm willing to change that.

It seems like an oxymoron to love anime and not be into mech stuff. That's one of the major genres that anime provides!  Now, there are series' that I watch that involve mechs, but they aren't really the focus of the series.  Even with those elements, I tend to fade out when that mech stuff comes up.  I don't know...it just doesn't interest me, when it seems like it should be something that's very entertaining!

I think the biggest trevesty is that I don't know anything of the Gundam side of anime.  I know that it's hugely popular and respected, but I haven't seen a single episode of any Gundam series.  Please, don't burn me alive for not having seen any Gundam!  I know that's a sacrilege, but I really think it's time for me to change that.  There has to be a reason why so many people enjoy the Gundam series!

For all the Gundam fans out there, can you help point me in the direction of where to start?  I'm obviously overwhelmed by what's out there right now, and I have no idea what's good or bad.  Is there a good place to start?  Hell, is there a correct place to start as far as storylines go?  I'm really walking in the dark here, and I could use all the help I can get!