Your stance on fan service


Upskirts, cleavage shots, slow-panning full body shot cameras, clothing being torn off.  Welcome to the world of fan service in anime.  It's definitely become a huge part of most anime series' out there, and is well known as part of what anime brings to the table.  Sometimes its a bit playful, other times it's rather risque, but it's always there to please the fans.  The question is, should things be that way?

I won't lie and say that I don't appreciate fan service.  I'm also not ashamed to say that some anime girls are gorgeous.  With all that out in the open, I admit that fan service gives me a smile from time to time.  I always appreciate it more when it's done in a cheeky nature, no pun intended.  A quick flash of something for comedic effect always sits much better with me than when fan service is worked into more serious anime.

While I can appreciate fan service for what it is, I often wonder if its for the better of anime in general.  Again, I know that fan service is one part of what makes up the whole of anime, but does it need to be there?  A lot of that fan service has come to be fodder for those that don't like anime, or look to bash it.  As ammunition against anime and its fans, fan service works wonders.  As a positive note for anime viewers, it's hard to use fan service as a way of defending anime.

Do you think anime in general would be more widely accepted or better off if fan service was toned down, if not taken away altogether?  Should anime let the flashes of those naughty bits come into play when they fit the story, instead of throwing them in at random intervals?  It's definitely a tough topic and no one is going to have the right answer, but I think it'll lead to some interesting conversation.